Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chimes...

... the arrow whizzed past my head and struck a nearby tree. I tripped as I tried to hop over a thorny shrub and fell right into it. I got up as fast as I could, just about being stuck fast to the ground by little claws, and continued on. I knew if I stopped for even a second, it might be my last second. The fall had cut me up pretty badly, and the blood from the puncture wounds fell down my arm to my hand, throwing off flecks. These splatters flew onto nearby trees, rocks, fallen leaves, and anything else that could be easily picked up by any keen tracker. I had to keep going. My only aim at this point was to get out with what I found and what I came with. If it were up to me, I would have grabbed a whole lot more.
My bag was heavy, and I carried no weapons, except for my crowbar, folding military shovel, and an old fashioned Swiss Army Knife, all tools of the "trade". Totally outnumbered, I had no choice but to run as fast as I could and leave no trace behind. I could hear footsteps behind me, throbbing on the ground, the sound of boots, breath, and chains. This was not going according to plan. It used to be so easy.
I've been running in, doing these late-night grab-and-dashes. and everything normally pans out just fine. A little publicity in the rumors, a little guilt when I see a crying family,  a walk through town with a case of jangling "wares". Most customers are very satisfied, but I always feel a little twinge of regret when I can't sell off what I have...
Last week when I came to your house, we took a look at the latest addition. You bought it outright, no questions, and immediately hung it up out on the porch. It caught a breeze and set off a haunting aria of clattering and clacking. We closed our eyes and listened, while I fingered the pile of bills in my coat pocket. You bragged about being the first one to have it, and how special of an occasion this is. I just smiled, like I always do.. beaming within, imagining fanning out cash on a queen-sized bed.
I do it for the money, you know. I'm pretty much looking at possible doom, here. Flashlights and voices, no sense in hiding, I'm already on the roadside.... Anymore, I know for a fact that when I'm gone, I will also make a beautiful melody in the wind... I am so proud of these. Bones... these bones...

No comments:

Post a Comment