Monday, January 29, 2018

Dommengang - Love Jail

Dommengang were one of those "What the freaking hell?!?" moments for me. I mean... I like seriously groovy, boogie-down, riffy, guitar-laden jams, you know? I love it. Who doesn't? When it comes to that stuff, most of us are pretty on-the-level, on-the-spot, and on top of everything. I try to grab bytes of just about everything that comes out. Some bands sneak past me. Some bands get so much attention that they easily stand out in the crowd. Some bands I just find by digging around. Others find me. It's an undeviating rotation that seems to be pretty foolproof.

Well, bloody hell... here comes Dommengang, throwing a wrench in that system. I got totally blindsided by this particular album:


Seriously, don't even think twice. One listen and it's over for you. Grand retro rock. Every track is a gem. Dommengang, by way of Thrill Jockey, have released two albums of boogie rock that stand the test of time.
Honestly, I would love to have a million words to say about this band, but I would do them an injustice by comparing them to anybody else. Let's just say: if you like funk, soul, boogie, stoner rock, psych, etc., you'll figure this one out on your own.

Early contender for Album Of The Year for me. Really, it's quite good. Heavy on the boogie, smooth on the groove. Consistently crisp. Mandatory music. If you don't like music, and you're just a curmudgeon, this is not for you.

Dear Dommengang,
Here, have some money.

Bandcampsite

The Facebooks


No comments:

Post a Comment