Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Bandcamp Blitz - April 2nd, 2019

I know this will be a big month. I can just feel it. So far, 2019 has been a whirlwind of good music. Every time I look, there's something awesome coming out. I doubt it's going to slow down at all.
Nerve Salad has been planning many new things for a while. This month is the start of a new chapter, a few new features, and getting underway on a new release. In all of this, I can foresee a lot of new reviews and...
Wait...
What was that?
Did I just say "release"?
I think I did. I'm not letting any cats out of the bag yet, but there may or may not be something brewing all quiet and sneaky-like. The one thing I can tell you is this: Something awesome is trying to happen. Keep your eyes peeled.

Now, the newest feature: We'll have a guest reviewer or two from time to time. This will be super fun, and I've got a crazily eclectic cast of characters to make this even zanier. Generally, I'm putting these reviewers through some nonsense. I'm sending them albums to review that are way outside of their comfort zones. I'm finding that this tactic has been rather beneficial for both the bands and the reviewers, considering they wind up liking what I send them anyway.
Up first we have the illustrious Christopher Boudreau. One of my best buds and a true brother through this cataclysm called life. Dude and I go way back. His taste in music, the "fringe life", and the arts has always been a defining characteristic. He has a way with words, a way with birds, a way with absurds. He likes cats and plants, wearing black, long walks in the woods, good-natured rock & roll girls w/tattoos, and fine dining. Fuckin' dude's a class act. Chris will poke his head in from time to time, along with a few other kind folks who want to join in on the fun.


Red Beard Wall - The Fight Needs Us
https://redbeardwall.bandcamp.com/album/the-fight-needs-us-all
(Coming in this side of typically structured metal, Red Beard Wall's "The Fight Needs Us All" penetrates with crushing blows and rhythmic slices. Aaron Wall's voice is clear liquid with a splash of mercury. He delivers choppy screams alongside a chant of mid-tones with near argumentation. The whole piece definitely lends credence to an original sound, carrying influences of clear origins. Quick to start and a fast finisher, the steady speed of this cut should add another sludge soundblaster to any metal fan's playlist. - Christopher Boudreau)



Crow Ballard - Electric Paradox
https://crowballard.bandcamp.com/album/electric-paradox 
(You wanna know how to make me freak out? Play shit like this for me. Just this concept alone floors me. Past releases are right up my alley: All danky and stanky Alt-Country Psych Nastiness with dollops of WTFs all over the damn place. I probably would lose my mind over this anyway, but then comes this Electric Paradox thing. Decimating riffs, fuzzy psych, noise rock, indie ka-powies with head nodding skull fuckery, pleasing to my old-ass ears. I mean... this is good, friends. Each song is a little adventure into the cosmos, playing tricks with the lights, making super weird shadow puppets while you're trying to sleep, and eating all your cookies. And perhaps only one of these songs is over the 2-minute mark. Like I said: Little adventures. Damn it, this fucking rules. I need to see this slapped onto a nice little wax platter for me to play. I need it!)





Nathan Seeckts - The Heart Of the City
https://nathanseeckts.bandcamp.com/album/the-heart-of-the-city
(Surprise, surprise! Another slick alt-country artist from Down Unda. This place churns out the greatness by the dozens. Nathan is a visionary of sorts. He's got the singer-songwriter part down pat, and when the band jumps in, it's kinda magical. A little touch of Springsteen, a little gruffness and power in the vocal delivery kind of reminding me of one of our own songsters Til Willis. I think Til and this guy would get along famously. Blues, folk, country, Americana. Nice album. Lotsa feels.)



Astral Hand - Universe Machine (single)
https://astralhand.bandcamp.com/
(Milwaukee psych rockers Calliope transmutate into spaced-out psych rockers Astral Hand. A smooth transition. First track is a stunner, complete with a dark hook, and a driving rhythm. Great stuff. Pining away for the whole deal.)



Dommengang - No Keys
https://dommengang.bandcamp.com/album/no-keys
(This is a great moment. I've been looking forward to some new Dommengang since their last album made into my Best Of The Year list. Pretty psyched for this one. Fine psych/classic/groove rock from these gents. Couple of tracks to tide you over until the whole drops.)



Eytan Mirsky - If Not Now... Later
https://eytanmirsky.bandcamp.com/album/if-not-now-later
(Beautiful voice, beautiful songs. Eytan's alt-country sensibilities are infectious. These are classy pop tunes, resting neatly underneath a slight twang. Each hook and melody is carefully crafted into a memorable moment. Highly diggable.)




Fun - Death Star
https://fun-noise-rock.bandcamp.com/album/death-star
(Finland's noise rock battalion have returned after a couple of minutes. Death Star sees the band in fine form, with a clamor and a clatter, you'll wonder what's the matter. In standard heavy 3-piece form, they whip your ears with fuzzy bass and projectile guitar slaps. A beatdown.)



Florida Man - Tropical Depression
https://flman.bandcamp.com/album/tropical-depression
(All those ka-booms and ka-poweys you're likely to hear? That's the sound of my neighborhood when this album physically drops onto my player. Fine noise that happily takes a branch to your lip. Reminiscent of crusty Midwestern noise with touches of chrome-plated DC fury. It'll rip you a new facehole.)



Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia
https://mortgarson.bandcamp.com/album/mother-earths-plantasia
(In 1976, unaware Moog pioneer Mort Garson (who released several more albums) plays with melodies in his bedroom and comes up with a classic album of early synthesizer soundscapes... for houseplants. Genius, really. Each song is dedicated to a particular plant that was popular at the time. What I've come to find is that this album is full of really good songs, and if my plants like them or not, it's no big deal. Sacred Bones Records re-released this sought-after and valuable LP, and the timing couldn't be better. As a plant enthusiast, this is what I needed.)


- AB


No comments:

Post a Comment