Thursday, August 2, 2018

Your Gaze - Nosedive


When I was in high school, I wanted to be the most difficult person to be around. Well, not "wanted to be...", more like "wound up being...". It was not easy having the most unusual tastes of any person I knew, except for the rare few I hung out with, and have known since. Bands would come and go, but my tastes were always the same back then: dreary, dark, typical "depressed young person" music for the times. I found that if it was on Apocalyptic Vision, Cold Meat Industry, or Projekt Records, I was on top of it.

From Nashville, TN comes a twisted turn of events called Your Gaze. There's a spooky recording looming around called Noisedive. It's an odd one. This is totally something me from 1996-1998 would be into. It's got this nostalgic feel to it, like the music I would listen to in my late teens/early twenties when girls would break up with me. Like, if My Bloody Valentine dated The Smiths, various aging '80s goth bands, & Soul Whirling Somewhere, but all decided to call it quits, started hanging out with Lycia instead, OD'ed together, and the remaining members of darkwave bands from the '90s all found their dead bodies in a pile in the middle of the room, along with miles and miles of recorded reel to reel music. This is what it would sound like if they decided to pay tribute to the recordings of the now-deceased formation of musicians: Noisedive
I know that's a stupid theory, but look at it this way: It's got a lot of different things happening all at once. Spacey, gazey, noisy, atmospheric, lush, bleak, dreary, and strangely heavy all at once.

This is coming in the form of a limited CD from Forbidden Place Records, and can be found HERE.

Meanwhile, give this a listen. If anything, it will bring you back to the "good ol' days" when you could still wash your cares away with layers upon layers of reverb.
 Check 'em out on Facebook, too.

...

RIYL: Soul Whirling Somewhere, Lycia, Joy Division, Slowdive, Bauhaus, Faith & The Muse, My Bloody Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment